"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Bucknell Bell Choir

This is my new favorite Christmas concert EVER!!!  I can't believe I've lived in Selinsgrove, 30 minutes from Bucknell University, for the past 6 1/2 years and was unaware of this free Christmas concert.

The concert was held in the chapel on Bucknell grounds and it was decorated beautifully.  The stage was overflowing with poinsettias, real garlands hung from the balcony along with wreaths, and a Christmas tree clothed in dense lights graced the stage.

The service consisted of about 7 lessons - scripture readings.  Following the scripture reading the choir would sing a song or two and the handbell choir would perform a song or two and the audience would sing a Christmas carol.  At the end, they performed a number together which was fantastic.  I have never seen such an impressive handbell choir.  They each used about 5 bells and would bang them on the table, hit them with a drum stick, or ring them in the air.  The fast and intricate bell-work (not sure if that is actually a phrase) was stunning.


The service was candlelit, which only added to the Christmas magic.

This is a really poor home video of a Bucknell handbell choir performance that I was able to find on YouTube, but it will at least give an idea of the sound. Of course it doesn't translate as well in video as seeing it live, but it truly was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...