"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th

4th of July makes the top 3 of my holiday favorites list; Thanksgiving is 1, Fourth of July is 2, and Christmas is 3.  Mom, as a holiday decorator extraordinaire, manages to find the most fun little festive decorations for every holiday.  This year, the highlight was a very "happy 4th" straw for each of us to drink with ... and amazingly they really did make all our drinks taste better ;)

My Fourth of July always begins with a hour and a half drive to Aldan for some small-town festivities.  Then we stand on the same corner of the same street and watch the little parade go by.  We gather some candy, dance to a mummer's band, and wave to a float or two.  Then, we turn the corner, walk to another corner, and watch the same exact parade go by for the second time.  The second parade viewing is promptly followed by a walk to the fairgrounds where the eat hotdogs, soft pretzels, Italian water ice, and drink fresh squeezed lemonade.  There are stands for making sand art, buying paintings, taking pony rides, and a few other minor "attractions".  There are races in a field next to the fairgrounds.  I used to LOVE running in those races, and they are probably the reason I decided to run track and field in high school.  Of course, everything has gotten "smaller" as the years have gone by, and it actually took me a while to realize that it is just a function of me getting older, not the actual parade and fairgrounds getting smaller.  After the fairgrounds we head over to my Aunt C and Uncle M's house for a family picnic with tons of amazingly delicious food!  No professional or personal fireworks for us this year.  It varies from year to year, but sometimes we do stay for them or just put on our own little display ... however, all-in-all, it is a great Independence Day celebration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...