"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Monday, August 22, 2011

Curried Chicken Salad

A few years ago I had the most delicious curried chicken salad wrap at on of my favorite places, Selin's Grove Brewing Company.  So, my mission began ... to make a curried chicken salad that was as delicious.  I started by trying a few that I found on the internet, but it didn't have the same intense curry flavor.  Finally, after at least 4 to 5 different recipes, I stumbled upon Ina Garten's recipe for curried chicken salad ... amazing!!!


Ingredients
3 whole chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup Major Grey's chutney
3 T curry powder
1 cup celery, medium diced
1/4 cup scallions, chopped (white and green parts)
1/4 cups raisins (I like to use golden raisins)
1 cup whole roasted, salted cashews

Getting your chicken ready
You have two options for preparing your chicken:  
Option 1
Preheat your oven to 300F.
Place the chicken on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil then salt and pepper vigorously.
Roast for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked.
When cool enough, remove meat from bones.
Option 2
Place chicken in a large stock pot.
Salt and pepper the chicken and then fill the pot with water until the chicken is 3/4 covered.
Heat on high, bring to a boil, and cook for about 30 minutes and then remove chicken from pot.
When cool enough, remove meat from bones.

Dressing
Combine the mayonnaise, wine, chutney, curry powder, and 1 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor.  Process until smooth.

Throwing it all together
Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well.  Add the celery, scallions, and raisins.  Mix well.  Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors mingle.  Finally, add the cashews and serve:)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...