"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Monday, August 22, 2011

Brooklyn - Prospect Park

Brooklyn Bridge
I spent a fair amount of time in Brooklyn this summer visiting Tim.  Before this, I had maybe step foot in it for a few minutes after crossing the Brooklyn Bridge.  However, it is a wonderful place, at least the Park Slope area, which is where I spent most of my time.  It has a more intimate and quieter feel than Manhattan, but is just as culturally rich and vibrant.  So, since I really knew nothing about Brooklyn, as it seems to be a forgotten step-brother to Manhattan (along with Staten Island, Queens, and the Bronx), I decided to read a little about it on ... Wikipedia.  (disclaimer:  yes, even though I'm a librarian, I do use wikipedia and love it)

A few interesting tidbits about Brooklyn:
  • Eendraght Maeckt Magh is its official motto, which when translated from the Dutch means, Unity makes strength.
  • Brooklyn is the most populous of the five buroughs.
  • The first major battle in the Revolutionary War following the signing of the Declaration of Independence was fought in Brooklyn. 
Two of my favorite Brooklyn activities this summer both occurred in Prospect Park.  They were spending a lazy afternoon in Prospect Park,  the Central Park of Brooklyn, and attending two free, outdoor concerts in Prospect Park.  The park is probably a 10 minute walk from Tim's apartment.  There are plenty of trees and open grassy areas where you can spread out a blanket.  The summer concert offerings are amazing - the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of each weekend ... 3 different performers each night.  Our first concert we went with my Anna, William, and Breanne to see a blue grass band, the Punch Brothers.  Our second concert was with my good friend from college, Marisa, to see a new band formed by two of the former Dixie Chicks.  Yes, these two concerts happened to be a little more "country", but the offerings are very eclectic from jazz to reggae to Latin to indie rock to gospel and more.

I'm looking forward to exploring more of Brooklyn because the little bit that I have experienced has been wonderful!




2 comments:

  1. You guys make a cute couple! ;-D What a lot of fun stuff you've gotten to do this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audrey! Tim and I have talked about going down to the DC area to visit you guys and one of his close friends. It would be so good to see you for a day or so!\

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...