"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Zucchini Flatbread

I've finally broken out my bread book again.  Being away for the summer made me miss out on trying a new bread in June and July, but I'm going to squeak this one in before the end of August.

The recipe is in two parts, first you need to make the bread and then you cook up the zucchini topping.


DOUGH
Ingredients
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
1 packet granulated yeast
1/2 T kosher salt
1/8 cup vital wheat gluten
2 cups lukewarm water
cornmeal for pizza peel

Directions
1.  Measure dry ingredients and mix together. 
       *I like to do this in a plastic container with a lid for easy dough storage.

2.  Add water and stir with a wooden spoon.

3.  Cover the dough with a lid (not airtight) and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 2 hours.  (If it rises for longer, that is fine.)

4.  Place dough in the refrigerator.

ZUCCHINI TOPPING
 Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
2 scallions, sliced thinly into rounds
3/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 small or 1 large zucchini
1/2 cup Parmigiano0Reggiano cheese, grated
freshly grated pepper
2-4 T raw pine nuts or almonds

Directions
1.  Heat the olive oil over medium heat.

2.  Add the scallions and saute until softened and fragrant.

3.  Add the parsley, zucchini, salt, and pepper.
     *I didn't have any parsley on hand, but it was absolutely delicious without it.

4.  Cook until everything is wilted and the liquid has mostly evaporated.  This should take about ten minutes.

5.  Remove from the heat and let stand for about a bit minutes ... Then, add cheese.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
1.  Preheat oven to 450 F with the pizza stone inside.

2.  Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a grapefruit-size portion.

3.  Shape the dough into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides.

4.  Flatten the dough on your pizza peel (dusted with cornmeal) with your hands or with a rolling pin until the dough is about 1/8 thick.

5.  Cover the surface of the dough with the sauteed zucchini.  Sprinkle with almonds (or pine nuts).

6.  Slide the flatbread pizza from the pizza peel onto the pizza stone in the oven.

7.  Bake it for 12 to 15 minutes or until nicely browned.

8.  Finish with a grinding of salt and pepper.



Let cool a bit before serving ... then enjoy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...