"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter Getaway

Poconos (1)I spent an idyllic weekend up in the Poconos at Aunt E and Uncle S's vacation home.  Snow was falling gently Friday night through Saturday night, when I left, creating a continuously new layer of fresh, powdery fluff. There is something "other-wordly" about the Poconos.  Maybe it is because there is no TV, maybe it is because cell phone reception is spotty, maybe it is because I have literally a lifetime of winter and summer memories there . . . whatever it is, though, makes for a pure escape from the world.


Poconos (8)
chipmunk from pillow
Poconos (9) Friday evening began with a delicious meal at Murphy's Loft and ended with a horrific discovery of a dead chipmunk in my pillow.  I slept in a different room that night!  Saturday opened with a lazy morning that did not begin until a little after 10:00.  Uncle S served one of his famous egg, potato, sausage, cheese "omelettes" - yum!  After cleaning up breakfast we read by the fire.  I think any book is improved by the warmth and light of a fire :)  When mom and dad arrived we went for a walk through the development, which was beautiful because the roads were completely snow-covered.  Saturday ended with a long, leisurely 3 course meal that stretched for several hours.  It was the perfect end to a rejuvenating weekend.

Poconos (3)
Poconos (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...