"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Haluski

January 21Haluski is one of those meals that I crave on a fairly regular basis ... luckily it is easy to make!  I like to include kielbasa in mine - there is nothing like cooking everything in meat drippings!
You can serve the dish with egg noodles of spätzle.  My preference is to serve it with spätzle, but egg noodles are a great option if I don't have time to make the spätzle.  I like to double or triple the spätzle recipe so that I have enough (to my liking) to serve with the haluski as well as some extra to heat up with sauteed onions and cheese.


Spätzle
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 pinch white pepper
1/2 tsp salt

1.  Mix flour, nutmeg, white pepper, and salt together
2.  Beat eggs well and add alternately to the dry ingredients with milk
3.  Mix until smooth
4.  Press dough through the spätzle maker (into boiling water)
5.  Drain spätzle for use late
6.  If you would like, you can cook the spätzle in some butter briefly after removing from water


Haluski
1 long chain kielbasa sausage
1 large sweet onion
1 bottle beer
2 T butter
3 T brown sugar
3/4 head of medium green cabbage
1/4 cup sugar
1/3(about) cup chicken broth or water

Mise en place:
1.  Slice kielbasa into thin slices
2.  Slice onion into strips
3.  Cut cabbage into long, thin strips


 Throwing it all together:
1.  Cook kielbasa over medium-high heat until slightly browned.   (Be sure to cook your sausage in a regular pan - not a non-stick - because you will want to create a fond to scape up when you deglaze with the beer)
2.  Remove sausage from pan and place it on a plate - cover with tin foil
3.  Pour in about 1/2 cup of beer (just eyeball it) and scrape the bottom of the pan
4.  Add butter and onions - saute onions until brown and caramelized - be patient
     *Add a bit of brown sugar to the onions as they caramelize
5.  Remove the onions and place them on the same plate as the kielbasa
6.  Add the cut cabbage with some sugar and a bit of chicken broth or water
7.  Cook the cabbage until it still has a slight crunch to it
8.  Once the cabbage is cooked, add the spätzle, onions, and kielbasa

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...