"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Monday, September 26, 2011

Governors Island

Governors Island used to be a residential community for the Coast Guard as well as a base of operations from the mid-1960s through 1995.  The buildings are still there, empty and in most cases locked up.  So, it is a sort-of a ghost town that doubles as a park.  The high-ranking officer's houses are beautiful to walk through.  Some are used to display artwork.
View of Manhattan from the Ferry



You can only access it by taking the Governors Island Ferry.  The ferry is free and the building is beautiful, a sharp contrast to the Staten Island Ferry building that sits next to it. 

Breanne, William, Tim, and I headed there for the Brews, Blues, BBQs event that is held there on Saturdays during the summer.  After enjoying a few hours of craft beer and BBQ explored some more of the island. 

In addition to the vacant buildings, some of which host art exhibits, there is are beautiful walkways along the river and through the island. 

  
crazy bubble playground feature

We happened upon a fairly unconventional playground.  Kayaks in a merry-go-roundesque setup, steel drums, tables with building blocks, "bells" made out of recycled plastic bottle caps, along with other oddities.  There was something creepy, yet enchanting, about the playground.  It felt like something straight out of Alice and Wonderland ... I would have loved this place as a child!. 


I'm looking forward to visiting Governors Island again.  Next summer I want to take advantage of the free bicycle rentals on Fridays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...