"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year 2012

"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each New Year find you find you a better person."  ~Benjamin Franklin

I personally love the tradition of making New Year's resolutions.  I don't think I've ever completed resolutions 100%, but I find striving to try something new is a worthy and fulfilling (whether completed or not) pursuit.

2011 Recap
Last year, my resolutions were to bake my own bread, take up photography, and paint something for my apartment.  I did bake bread - a new one per month from January through June.  Then summer hit full force and my bread baking habit ended - who wants to have their oven on when it's 85 outside.  So, although not 100% completed, my resolution has developed into a hobby I will continue with every winter - fresh baked bread is the perfect cold weather comfort food.  I also took photographs.  I have taken 264 to this date, so I did not quite make the goal of 365 pictures within a single year .... but, I plan on finishing the 365 project within the next few weeks.  This was my favorite resolution and definitely a hobby I will continue to pursue.  My last resolution was my true "failure".  I did not paint anything for my apartment.  I did enlarge a few of my pictures and hung them on my walls.  I'll just have to roll this resolution over for 2012.


Resolution 1 - Paint something for my apartment
This is a carry-over from last year ... hopefully I'll do a better job of it this year.  







Resolution 2 - Switch to cash-only
I am excited to make the switch to going cash-only.  This resolution is not quite so exciting, but definitely a challenge that is worthwhile.  My brother and sister-in-law have gone cash-only for the past year.  My sister just made the change in September.  They all rave about it as being a great way to save money.




Resolution 3 - Dance more often
Last year I went dancing twice a week - Wednesday and Thursday night.  That has slowly dwindled down to only once in a while.  A combination of gas prices increasing and my energy levels not being infinite led to a sharp decline in my drives down to Harrisburg for salsa, bachata, merengue, and cha-cha.  I'm sure I won't go twice a week, but I'd like to go at least once a month.  I really miss it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...