"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pancakes

I have never made pancakes before this past weekend.  I feel fairly capable in the kitchen, but pancakes always seemed like a mystery to me.  How can you tell they are ready to be flipped?  How do you flip them?  With the help of my "former Uncle Bill's Pancakes House employee" boyfriend, I have finally made a pancake.  They were also pancakes made with special flour mix made in Jamie's hometown of McPherson, Kansas. (so I'm documenting the experience). 

 The mix made wonderful pancakes.  The batter was thick and the pancakes were dense yet fluffy.  I had all my pancake questions answered :)

 
How do you know when pancakes are ready to be flipped?
Well, I learned there are two ways.  If the batter is thinner, you can judge it just by the bubbles that form on the top of the pancake.  If, however, the batter is thicker, you cannot wait long enough to see a lot of bubbles form, or your pancake will be overcooked.  So, you also need to look for drying along the outer rim of the pancake.

How do you flip a pancake?
I'm not quite sure why I was a bit intimidated by it.  I think I was equating it to flipping an egg without breaking the yoke.  Definitely not that hard.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...