"I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life." ~Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chili

Chili (2)Who would have thought that the first week of spring would bring with it snow and sleet. I decided to take advantage of the last remainder of cold weather to make some chili to eat along with my anadama corn bread.  I took a recipe from America's Test Kitchen and modified it slightly to make it a bit spicier.





Beef Chili
2 T vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. lean ground beaf
2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (store brand)
1 can crushed tomatoes


Chili
  • Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering
  • Add the onions, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 tsp salt.  Cook the vegetables until they have softened.
  • Stir in the garlic and cook for ~15 seconds.
  • Add the beef and increase the heat to medium-high.  Cook until the beef is no longer pink.
    Chili (1)
  • Stir in the beans, cans of tomatoes, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
  • Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
  • Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the beef is tender, about 45 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you don't like your food too spicy, just use 2 cans of regular diced tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato puree.


Top it with a large dollop of sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and/or fresh slices of avocado.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...